I'm delighted to share with you a guest blog from writer John Gower of NerdWallet. I hope you find his expert advice about top tot-friendly Asian destinations as useful as I did. There's just one problem - where to go first!
Top 6 Family Destinations in Asia
1. Hong Kong, China
- If you are touring Asia, you must definitely pass through China. One of the oldest civilizations in the world, China brings with it centuries of history and culture. Hong Kong is by far the most welcoming city to Chinese tourists and, if you visit, you will have the least trouble adapting in Hong Kong.
- When you visit, take your children to the Hong Kong Disneyland. Meanwhile, you can go to the world-famous Ladies’ Market to pick up some inexpensive, gorgeous accessories for yourself or a loved one. Later, take the whole family to The Peak and The Clock Tower to explore the innovative architecture of modern China.
- The next day, take the kids to the Ocean Park Hong Kong for another amusement park adventure while you channel your inner Zen at the Big Buddha and Li Po Monastery.
2. Tokyo, Japan
- A blend of traditional values and cutting-edge technological advances, Tokyo and its skyscrapers are not known across the world for nothing! However, before going, make sure your family will be comfortable with the bustle and large, tight crowds of Tokyo.
- Immerse you and your family into Japanese culture by going to a sumo wrestling match; your children are sure to be entertained! For dinner, head to a restaurant near the Tsukiji Fish Market for the world’s best and freshest sushi.
- One of Tokyo’s greatest attractions is the city itself. Revel in breathtaking views of the city’s skyline and sculptures during a walk through Tokyo’s streets with the family. Take the kids to one of the many mega malls and prepare for a sensory overload!
- After your excursion through urban Tokyo, experience some of the natural beauty of the city by visiting the Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden. Stroll through the gardens to see some of the rarest and most exotic varieties of Asian flora.
3. Mumbai, India
- The Taj Mahal in Agra may be one of the most famous tourist destinations in India, but for thorough family fun, head further down south to experience the mix of authentic Indian culture and modernity that makes India famous.
- Mumbai is the center of the Bollywood film and music industry. Visit during the festivals Diwali or Holi to entertain your children while learning about Indian religions and culture.
- Visit Mumbai’s Marine Drive, which spans the Beverly Hills of India. On your right will be a white sand beach and on your left, you will see the gorgeous houses of India’s richest. You might even get to see a celebrity or two!
- End your trip by stopping at the Mahalakshmi Temple, where you and the kids can learn about Indian mythology and legend while witnessing the beauty of traditional Indian architecture.
4. Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Abu Dhabi has recently been making serious technological advances and is now one of the world’s most popular tourist destinations. Delight in some of the newest and most innovative family friendly attractions out there!
- Check out the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque for a grandiose view of Islamic architecture and learn about the religion and culture with your kids!
- There are zoos and camel rides interspersed throughout Abu Dhabi for you and your children. For two recommendations, the Al Ain Zoo and the Arabian Wildlife Park will let you see some of the earth’s most striking animals up close.
- The adults and teenagers who would appreciate Abu Dhabi’s groundbreaking architecture can take a walk through the streets, admiring the skylines, including the tallest building in the world. Meanwhile, the kids can head over to the Yas Waterworld so they can have just as much fun.
5. Bali, Indonesia
- After visiting some of the biggest and most exciting cities in Asia, you and the family can vacation in Bali to witness some natural, historical, archaeological, and artistic attractions firsthand. Stay at one of Bali’s luxurious resorts, looking out over the cerulean waters of the Bali Sea.
- While you visit the famed temples of Bali, such as the easily accessible Pura Luhur Uluwatu, your children can go jungle trekking or hiking with a tour guide to see the most stunning views in the heart of Bali.
- The next day, take your kids to the Bali Safari and Marine Park. Afterwards, treat yourself to a massage and spa treatment to end your tour of Asia.
6. Taipei, Taiwan
- In Asian countries, architecture is one of the main must-see sights, and Taiwan is no exception to that popular fact. If you’re planning a trip to Taipei, Taiwan, be sure to stop by the National Palace Museum. Surviving for centuries, this indestructible monument continues to hold Taiwan’s cultural values with art, history, and other priceless treasures; you and your young or older teens can enjoy an educational, almost three-hour long trip to this magical tourist site.
- Elephant Mountain, one of the “Four Beasts” mountains in Taipei, is the closest, out of this group of mountains, to Taipei, so you can easily see the incredible structures and twinkling night-lights of the city. You and your family can hike up the mountain using stairs for a great workout and view.
Always remember to plan out your trip to Asia well in advance. Getting stranded in a foreign country is not fun and can be extremely dangerous. Enjoy your family vacation, but always make sure you stay safe!
John Gower is a writer for NerdWallet, a personal finance website dedicated to helping travelers save money with financial tips on everything from destinations to the top CD rates.